Monday, October 26, 2009

Big Rabbit Ears

This is a photo of me with Carol Andre taken about a week ago West of Traverse City. The tree reminds me of big rabbit ears. Carol and I had a great time paintings, talking and climbing over art supplies and golden retrievers as we were painting in our motorhome. Just a bit tight for space. It was in the 40's outside and sleet and rain prevailed most of the time we were there! Sadly, the morning this picture was taken, it was time for home.
It takes about 5 hours in our motorhome pulling a Jeep to get home. I have noticed the most amazing thing this year. About 2 hours from home, I start coughing, sneezing and wheezing. Now if this was 5 years ago I would say smog-no doubt. But, with manufacturing at a standstill I can't blame smog. I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in Mackinac City at the very tip of the lower peninsula. She said before the mid 50's, when the Mackinac Bridge opened, people from lower Michigan would come up and pitch tents at the tip of the state and get seasonal jobs to escape their allergies and asthma. Guess I should consider that next year!
Mackinac Island has pretty much closed for the season and I called my gallery guy to wish him a good trip to Va. where he spends the winter. Guess there was a bit of excitement about a week ago. The last ferry boat heading to the mainland lost its engine in a very strong wind and high waves. It took about an hour to get the engine started. Meanwhile, they were being tossed around and taking on water. Glad I wasn't on that boat. This does not happen often. Don't let it stop you from visiting the island.
I am currently working on winter pieces for a holiday show at Twisted Fish Gallery. The week has gone something like cough, sneeze, paint. Even the dog is scratching!!! Oh well, Winter is coming and we can all complain about that soon.
till next time (sooner)
Gail

No comments: