Monday, February 1, 2010

Adventures in Gouache

Well, I felt like my art was at a bit of a standstill. I think most artists are never satisfied with their work. I have been struggling to get a softer, more detailed look with my acrylics with the emphasis on stuggling. Don't get me wrong, I have been fortunate enough to win awards for my work, but I am dissatisfied! Last week I decided to paint a gazebo scene using gouache (opaque watercolor) and the end results are posted above. I thoroughly enjoyed the process and found that I could get better detail with the gouache than acrylic. Some of my fellow miniature artists have given this piece high marks. Although it still looks like my work, it is more detailed. Let me know what you think!

It was very cold and damp in my studio today. Even my dogs were piled up against each other looking for warmth. My husband was doing computer work today, in anticipation of taxes ,while wrapped up in a quilt. No wonder retirees move to Florida! Anyway, I did start a second gouache piece, but its too soon to tell how it is going. I finally quit painting and wrapped up in a quilt of my own. Oh well,there is always tomorrow.

Till next time,

Gail

2 comments:

Mona Diane Conner said...

Gail, this garden mini is totally awesome! One of my favorites by you to date. What did you name it, and what is it's size?

Gail Hayton said...

Mona!!! So glad you are back on-line. I missed you. Thanks for the compliment. I haven't named the piece yet. The size is 2-1/2 inches by 3-1/2 inches. I have started another gouache piece-going to continue and see where it leads.!
Gail