Monday, January 25, 2010

We're Baaaack!

Well, all good things must come to an end, I guess. My husband and I arrived home from Florida very early Sunday morning. It was a smooth but long drive of 20 hours. We were staying at Disney World Old Key West resort for a week. We purchased a timeshare there many years ago and go at least once a year. Above is a picture of the condo and below is the view from the patio. As you can see many of the trees and tropical foliage were greatly damaged by the heavy frost that blasted through Florida earlier this month. I thought I was in a time warp with dead leaves flying around. Is it January or October-who can tell.
While in Florida we attended the Miniature Art Society of Florida show during the collectors preview day. It was fun saying Hi to Wes and Rachelle Siegrist who were working the show as well as Bev Abbott! Everyone's work looked great and the show itself was well assembled. Sales were brisk that day with collectors lined up Saturday morning waiting to pay for art!!! I was having so much fun, I forgot to take pictures, sorry about that.

Mid January is a great time to be at Disney World because the crowds are way down. Although we go every year, my husband and I decided to visit the parks a couple times just to soak up the atmosphere. I was wearing a pedometer during the week and was pleased that I was able to log 20 miles of walking. This is a real milestone for me as I have been recovering from 2 surgeries and at one point unable to walk even half a mile without considerable pain.


As you can see, the weather was beautiful. The one thing I dislike about Michigan is the lack of sun and blue sky in the winter months. I could get used to this Florida living!



On another outing to the park we visited the Germany Pavilion at Epcot where I said hi to Jutta, a full time Disney artist who paints miniatures on eggs. She is the reason I am now working in miniature! Jutta is originally from Germany and has worked at Epcot for a number of years. I buy her eggs and she buys my paintings. If you are ever at Epcot be sure to look her up and see her wonderful work.
I am back in my studio this week and working on a painting of a gazebo. I am thinking Summer.
I must admit it feels really good to get back to painting. Vacations can't last forever.
Till next time,
Gail


2 comments:

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Welcome back Gail. I used to live in Orlando, for over 25 years! I can't say I miss it at all, except I do my so miss my parents who still live there. I am long overdue for a visit. My family moved there before Disney! It was a very different place then. I do want to visit and see the MASF show. Someday!! I also miss sunshine in the winter. I used to live on the coast of central CA before we moved up here to the Puget Sound. We get the rain here, not so much snow! I'm thinking spring soon! Happy Painting!

Gail Hayton said...

Hi Barbara,
Wow, you live a long way from where you grew up. I am sure the long time residence of Orlando have mixed emotions about Disney. The urban sprawl is terrible! Today it is 12 degrees with a wind chill of minus 4. The wind is whipping around and it is snowing. I do miss the sunshine. I think it is well worth getting to the MASF show. I really enjoyed studying all the art.
Gail